Birding/Purple finch nest/eggs

kellie wrote at 2016-06-08 16:12:47
Hello.  I am in Virginia and came across this older post when I was looking for the same answer.  My purple finch nest also has what appears to be two different sets of eggs; the very pale green with brown specks and then a solid color which from a distance looks pale blue or cream. 3 of each.  I was wondering the same because the nest looks too small for 6 babies?  Of course I intended to let them be but was very curious if another bird was trying to invade her nest.

Roger Lederer

Any and all about WILD birds - the science of ornithology. Information about birdwatching, ecology, conservation, migration, behavior, banding, rehabilitation, feeding, songs, binoculars, identification, and careers in ornithology. No questions about pet or caged birds, please.

Have a PhD and over forty years as a professional ornithologist - research, teaching, author, speaker, webmaster of . Have written thirty scientific papers, three bird field guides, a textbook in ecology four other bird books, the latest being "Beaks, Bones, and Bird Songs". Have traveled to 100 countries watching birds and have spoken to hundreds of groups about birds.

PhD in Zoology/Ornithology; Emeritus Professor of Biological Sciences; former Dean of the College of Natural Sciences at California State University, Chico