Birding/mourning doves

Question
QUESTION: I live on the 14th floor of an apartment building and have
mourning doves that made a nest in my coconut planter.  One egg.  The first one hatched then fly away healthy and still comes back to visit.  However the mama laid another egg about 8 days ago and has been sitting on the nest as always.  But when I went home from work yesterday she was gone.  I went and looked in the nest and there was no egg.  Not even any shell pieces.
What happened.  I live in Hawai'i and on the 14th floor.
Any ideas?

ANSWER: Sounds like a predator got to the egg and maybe the female as well. A hawk, jay, crow, rat, mongoose, or whatever probably got to them. The mother can't move the egg herself so something else did.

QUESTION: I am hoping a rat did not climb up the outside of my building to the 14th floor and I do not believe moongoose can climb.  So going with another
bird.  I have never seen any bigger birds on my lanai but it must have happened.
Thank you for the answer and am now worried about rats.  Would a ring neck dove/ pigeon be able or want to move it?

Answer
Rats can get everywhere; you would be amazed. Pigeons may nest elsewhere if they are disturbed enough times. Mongooses can climb but probably not 14 stories. A predator bird is most likely, I agree.

Chupacabra? Very funny.
You gave me an 8 on knowledgability? I guess I was supposed to know exactly what happened from you description? Also very funny

Birding

Roger Lederer