Birding/Robins

Question
QUESTION: A robin has nested in the bracing of my deck umbrella. Her first brood went perfectly according to plan...then, before the babies even got to a week old, they disappeared. I saw 3 of them in the nest the night before; the next morning the nest was empty with no signs of distress. Mom and Dad came back again and layed 3 more eggs. Again, everything great and then exactly the same as before. One night the nest has 3 hatched babies in it and the next morning, an empty nest. What is going on?! Please tell me she's moving them!

ANSWER: If they babies disappeared before they were a week old and the parents came and laid three more eggs, the babies were eaten/taken by a predator - cat, rat, squirrel, jay, raccoon, or whatever. And then it happened again? Predator, no doubt. The parents cannot and do not move their eggs or babies.
It's sad but it's not at all unusual. Of all songbird eggs laid, maybe one out of ten becomes an adult bird.

QUESTION: Thanks, Roger but how did the predator get all 3?! Mom was sitting on them! I am devastated! Ivegot to take the nest down so they don't try again!

Answer
For almost any predator, it's easy. Mom Robin is no match for them. I have to tell you that disturbing any bird's nest is against federal law, even if it is in your umbrella. Not that you are liable to get busted, but it's not a good idea anyway. If the nest disappears the Robins may not nest again anywhere and then there will be no chance for any baby robins. Leaving the nest there at least gives them some chance.

Birding

Roger Lederer