Birding/One fledlgling Mountain Black Chickadee

Question
Hi!  We've been watching a nest of Chickadees using a terracotta birds nest about 4 feet from the ground in a pine tree. There were three babies with two active parents feeding. Today there is only one left in the nest and no sign of the parents. The baby keeps calling and semi-lunging out of the hole. Is he just left behind? Or are they off teaching the others and will come back? I don't want to interfere but I'm worried about the little guy.

Answer
Sometimes one nestling will fledge late - a late hatch or even a runt. Mother Nature sometimes is not a kind mother and birds will abandon weaklings to keep them out of the gene pool - survival of the fittest. The parents will also sometimes stop feeding to encourage young to leave the nest. Where it is seni-lunging out I would bet that is the case. It is often a guessing game. Good luck. Email me at walshaw1@cox.net and tell me what happens. Also let me know if you have Bluebirds. Bluebird Bob Walshaw.

Birding

Bluebird Bob Walshaw