Birding/One fledlgling Mountain Black Chickadee

Hi!  We've been watching a nest of Chickadees using a terracotta birds nest about 4 feet from the ground in a pine tree. There were three babies with two active parents feeding. Today there is only one left in the nest and no sign of the parents. The baby keeps calling and semi-lunging out of the hole. Is he just left behind? Or are they off teaching the others and will come back? I don't want to interfere but I'm worried about the little guy.

Sometimes one nestling will fledge late - a late hatch or even a runt. Mother Nature sometimes is not a kind mother and birds will abandon weaklings to keep them out of the gene pool - survival of the fittest. The parents will also sometimes stop feeding to encourage young to leave the nest. Where it is seni-lunging out I would bet that is the case. It is often a guessing game. Good luck. Email me at and tell me what happens. Also let me know if you have Bluebirds. Bluebird Bob Walshaw.

Bluebird Bob Walshaw

I can answer almost any question on Eastern Bluebirds and small cavity nesters such as Chickadees, Titmice, Wrens, etc. Also general questions on other songbirds. No pet bird questions please. Send mailing address to me at for a free 20 page Bluebird book.

I have had a 100+ nestbox trail for more than 20 years, I do a lot of writing, public speaking and educational work in this field. My hands-on Bluebird talks include more than 1000 people each year.

Oklahoma Bluebird Society, North American Bluebird Society, National Audubon Society, Oklahoma Audubon Society, Oklahoma Fur Bearers Alliance

Bluebird Magazine, Oklahoma Today, Fur-Fish-Game, Birds & Blooms, Nature Society News,Back Woodsman Magazine, Tulsa World, Broken Arrow ledger, Teaching Tolerance magazine,Trappers World, OK Hole Story, Birders World

Degree in Mechanical Engineering, an MBA, Graduate of the Home Study Course in Bird Biology from the Cornell Laboratory of Ornithology, Oklahoma Master Naturalist. I am also a pofessional speaker and writer.

Chosen as a public speaker for the North American Bluebird Society, Bluebird trail accepted as part of the Transcontinental Bluebird Trail, Chosen as a panel speaker at the 2006 NABS Convention.