Birding/House Sparrow Fledgling with a broken leg

Question
My husband and I found a house sparrow fledgling with a broken leg- it seems that his leg broke and fused completely straight in the opposite direction. We were wondering what would be his chances of survival in the wild?

We would appreciate any advice that you can provide.

Answer
It would be unusual for the leg to heal that way but possible. It is also possible that a lack of Vitamin D in its diet as a nestling is responsible. Whatever the cause, its survival depends on how well it can get around. There are lots of birds doing fin on only one leg - I've seen at least dozens of examples. So leave him be and let nature take its course. But thanks for your concern.

Birding

Roger Lederer