Birding/robins nest

we just found 3 baby robins dead on the floor of veranda. They hatched about 3 days ago. the nest was built in our concrete veranda above the poarch light. would it be another species of bird who would have attacked and why

I can only guess what happened but it appears that a predator of some sort got to the nest and young. Could be a rat, cat, raccoon, opossum, skunk, squirrel, jay, hawk, or who knows. Baby birds in the nest are tempting for predators. Usually, around a house, and with the babies not eaten but dead on the ground,I'd suspect a rat.

Roger Lederer

Any and all about WILD birds - the science of ornithology. Information about birdwatching, ecology, conservation, migration, behavior, banding, rehabilitation, feeding, songs, binoculars, identification, and careers in ornithology. No questions about pet or caged birds, please.

Have a PhD and over forty years as a professional ornithologist - research, teaching, author, speaker, webmaster of . Have written thirty scientific papers, three bird field guides, a textbook in ecology four other bird books, the latest being "Beaks, Bones, and Bird Songs". Have traveled to 100 countries watching birds and have spoken to hundreds of groups about birds.

PhD in Zoology/Ornithology; Emeritus Professor of Biological Sciences; former Dean of the College of Natural Sciences at California State University, Chico