Birding/the highest-flying bird?

Question
Hello Roger,

Years ago I came across a statement saying that, whereas since ancient times people thought the eagle to be the highest-flying bird, scientists today believe that certain finches fly higher. Now that I actually have a use for that statement, and despite my having searched till my fingers have worn down to the knuckles, I can't find it again.

I don't expect you yourself will know its source (or even that you would agree with it); but if perhaps you do concur, might you be able to lead me to another quotable source? (Or perhaps you can offer yourself as one?)

regards,
Bud

Answer
Finches don't fly very high; neither do eagles for that matter. The highest flying birds are the Bar-headed Geese that cross the Himalayas on migration - 21,000 to 23,000 feet. You can get sources from the references at Wikipedia at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bar-headed_Goose  

Birding

Roger Lederer