Birding/house finch nest

Question
I have a house finch nest in a hanging basket on my 6x12 apt patio. As of approx 3 days ago, there are 2 eggs. I like to have my morning tea on the patio, do some evening reading, that sort of thing. Do I need to stay off the patio for the next couple of weeks till the eggs hatch? For some period of time after the eggs hatch? Should I water the plant around the edges? Will it matter to the finches if the flowers die?

Also, what is the role of the male in caring for the eggs and the young?

Many thanks,
Marguerite

Answer
Marguerite, as long as you don't scare the birds off the nest, you can use the patio. It will take 12-14 days before they hatch (after incubation begins) and another 10-20 days before the young leave the nest. You can water the plant as long as the eggs do not get wet but the birds won't care if the plant dies. Both the male and female care for the young and eggs. Enjoy watching them.

Birding

Roger Lederer