Birding/house finch nest

I have a house finch nest in a hanging basket on my 6x12 apt patio. As of approx 3 days ago, there are 2 eggs. I like to have my morning tea on the patio, do some evening reading, that sort of thing. Do I need to stay off the patio for the next couple of weeks till the eggs hatch? For some period of time after the eggs hatch? Should I water the plant around the edges? Will it matter to the finches if the flowers die?

Also, what is the role of the male in caring for the eggs and the young?

Many thanks,

Marguerite, as long as you don't scare the birds off the nest, you can use the patio. It will take 12-14 days before they hatch (after incubation begins) and another 10-20 days before the young leave the nest. You can water the plant as long as the eggs do not get wet but the birds won't care if the plant dies. Both the male and female care for the young and eggs. Enjoy watching them.

Roger Lederer

Any and all about WILD birds - the science of ornithology. Information about birdwatching, ecology, conservation, migration, behavior, banding, rehabilitation, feeding, songs, binoculars, identification, and careers in ornithology. No questions about pet or caged birds, please.

Have a PhD and over forty years as a professional ornithologist - research, teaching, author, speaker, webmaster of . Have written thirty scientific papers, three bird field guides, a textbook in ecology four other bird books, the latest being "Beaks, Bones, and Bird Songs". Have traveled to 100 countries watching birds and have spoken to hundreds of groups about birds.

PhD in Zoology/Ornithology; Emeritus Professor of Biological Sciences; former Dean of the College of Natural Sciences at California State University, Chico