Birding/Wren house

Wren house
Wren house  
Hello: I have been trying to attract wrens to a wren house I constructed a few years ago.I have had it mounted in a crab-apple tree since I made it,but no wrens have moved in.I read online that wrens like to nest in dense foliage,so I moved the house to a juniper bush (about 5 feet off the ground) outside my ground floor bathroom,where I can observe it.My only concern is that I used a length of Twister Tie to suspend the house between two branches of the the Juniper.The tie is heavy wire covered with a blue foam like covering.Would wrens possibly think the tie is a snake? I am in southern Canada near the border with North Dakota.Do you have any tips concerning where to place the house? Thanks!

Hi. It seems to me that you have done everything correctly. I seriously doubt if the tie resembles a snake or would scare them off. Not knowing anything about your specific area, I can't give you detailed advice. But I can say that just putting up a wren house is not sufficient to attract wrens. There may be few or no wrens in your area. You should do some serious birdwatching in the next few months and see if any wrens actually inhabit your neighborhood. If they do not, there may be things you can do to attract them. But just putting up a wren house is not sufficient if other attractions are not there.

Roger Lederer

Any and all about WILD birds - the science of ornithology. Information about birdwatching, ecology, conservation, migration, behavior, banding, rehabilitation, feeding, songs, binoculars, identification, and careers in ornithology. No questions about pet or caged birds, please.

Have a PhD and over forty years as a professional ornithologist - research, teaching, author, speaker, webmaster of . Have written thirty scientific papers, three bird field guides, a textbook in ecology four other bird books, the latest being "Beaks, Bones, and Bird Songs". Have traveled to 100 countries watching birds and have spoken to hundreds of groups about birds.

PhD in Zoology/Ornithology; Emeritus Professor of Biological Sciences; former Dean of the College of Natural Sciences at California State University, Chico