Birding/What is this bird?

QUESTION: My father took a picture of this beautiful yellow and gray bird in the bush between the nieghbor's yard and ours. I've looked in my National Audubon Society Field Guide to North American Birds. their are allot of yellow throated/breasted birds. But none match up to what this pictures portrays. I tried to search on the internet for a yellow throated gray bird. But all i got was yellow throated warbler and this bird does not look like that one. I live in Meriden, Connecticut if that helps. I've seen birds like these in the winter with out the yellow throat called " dark eyed ~slate-colored~ junco's "; but i haven't seen this yellow breasted bird before. I would like to know what they are called? As always; thank you for your time and knowledge.

ANSWER: Feenie, I'm presuming you meant to enclose a photo? None was enclosed and there's not enough information in your question to tell you what the bird is.

yellow and grey bird.
yellow and grey bird.  
QUESTION: oh my, i'm sorry. usually i remember to attach the photo. perhaps it's because i've been a bit busy today. thank you for writing back so quickly. here is the photo and this time i remembered to click attachment link. thank you for being so kind and patient. i just never seen a bird like this one. i've seen bunch of sparrows, robins, pidgeons, black capped chickadees, seagulls, blue jays, cardinals and such. i am aware of yellow breasted swamp birds. but this one's different and i can't find it in my guide. to me it looks like the common winter birds we see here called juncos. but the gray slated junco is only gray and white.. this one is grey yellow and white. I just never seen a bird like this one before. i don't doubt that they're around; i guess just one of them birds that's rarely spotted unless looked for. as always; thank you for your knowledge and time.

This is a warbler, for sure. I can't be 100% positive, but I believe it to be a female Nashville Warbler. Warblers are hard to tell apart, especially females and immatures. They are pretty secretive so that's why you have not seen it before. And thank you for telling me where you live - that helps a lot.

Roger Lederer

Any and all about WILD birds - the science of ornithology. Information about birdwatching, ecology, conservation, migration, behavior, banding, rehabilitation, feeding, songs, binoculars, identification, and careers in ornithology. No questions about pet or caged birds, please.

Have a PhD and over forty years as a professional ornithologist - research, teaching, author, speaker, webmaster of . Have written thirty scientific papers, three bird field guides, a textbook in ecology four other bird books, the latest being "Beaks, Bones, and Bird Songs". Have traveled to 100 countries watching birds and have spoken to hundreds of groups about birds.

PhD in Zoology/Ornithology; Emeritus Professor of Biological Sciences; former Dean of the College of Natural Sciences at California State University, Chico