Birding/Random Robin Egg

My uncle found a robin egg by his car and it wasn't near a nest. My mom told me to go find one, but still no nest. I have the egg under my lamp, but I'm worried if it's alive or not. I'm also afraid because I heard it is illegal to have a bird egg in possession. Plus, my step dad told me to go throw it away. I didn't listen to him. The egg was kind of cold when I touched it. What should I do?

Most likely, the egg fell out of a nest somewhere. If you could not find one, there may not be one anymore. It's not likely to hatch so its probably best to dispose of it. It is illegal to have, but you are not likely to get in trouble over it. Best to just throw it away. But thanks for your concern.

Roger Lederer

Any and all about WILD birds - the science of ornithology. Information about birdwatching, ecology, conservation, migration, behavior, banding, rehabilitation, feeding, songs, binoculars, identification, and careers in ornithology. No questions about pet or caged birds, please.

Have a PhD and over forty years as a professional ornithologist - research, teaching, author, speaker, webmaster of . Have written thirty scientific papers, three bird field guides, a textbook in ecology four other bird books, the latest being "Beaks, Bones, and Bird Songs". Have traveled to 100 countries watching birds and have spoken to hundreds of groups about birds.

PhD in Zoology/Ornithology; Emeritus Professor of Biological Sciences; former Dean of the College of Natural Sciences at California State University, Chico