Birding/Random Robin Egg

Question
My uncle found a robin egg by his car and it wasn't near a nest. My mom told me to go find one, but still no nest. I have the egg under my lamp, but I'm worried if it's alive or not. I'm also afraid because I heard it is illegal to have a bird egg in possession. Plus, my step dad told me to go throw it away. I didn't listen to him. The egg was kind of cold when I touched it. What should I do?

Answer
Most likely, the egg fell out of a nest somewhere. If you could not find one, there may not be one anymore. It's not likely to hatch so its probably best to dispose of it. It is illegal to have, but you are not likely to get in trouble over it. Best to just throw it away. But thanks for your concern.

Birding

Roger Lederer