Birding/sharp shinned or coopers

Question
unknown
unknown  
Hi Mr.Lederer, I came home to this bird in my yard feeding on a robin and an need help figuring out what it is. Thank you, Marsha

Answer
It is definitely a Sharp-shinned or Cooper's Hawk and I'm going with Sharp-shinned but you can confirm it. The birds are virtually identical but the Cooper's is the size of a crow and the Sharp-shinned the size of a jay. But there are overlaps in size so that's not an infallible characteristic. Cooper's has a dome-like head shape while that of Sharp-shinned in rounded. From what I can discern from your nice photo, it's a Sharp-shinned.

Birding

Roger Lederer