Hi Roger, I recently asked you about a Mockingbird nest in our back yard with one egg in it, and you enlightened me to the process, where the normal nest would contain 2+ eggs and then caretaking would commence. You were, (of course) dead on.....two more eggs appeared and then the mother began sitting on them off and on; a new situation has begun now....there has been an aerial combat situation between two pairs of birds (the home team and an invader I am thinking) they are squawking and chasing each other hour upon hour for two days now,,,can you tell me what the blazes is going on?? they are oblivious to us and are diving within yards of us chasing each other....thanks again...Nick

Mockingbirds all use the same resources - food, nest sites, etc. so they establish territories to protect an area from invaders that might take their food or nesting area. They are very territorial and will bicker with each other until they finally come to a truce and decide who gets what or one leaves.

Roger Lederer

Any and all about WILD birds - the science of ornithology. Information about birdwatching, ecology, conservation, migration, behavior, banding, rehabilitation, feeding, songs, binoculars, identification, and careers in ornithology. No questions about pet or caged birds, please.

Have a PhD and over forty years as a professional ornithologist - research, teaching, author, speaker, webmaster of . Have written thirty scientific papers, three bird field guides, a textbook in ecology four other bird books, the latest being "Beaks, Bones, and Bird Songs". Have traveled to 100 countries watching birds and have spoken to hundreds of groups about birds.

PhD in Zoology/Ornithology; Emeritus Professor of Biological Sciences; former Dean of the College of Natural Sciences at California State University, Chico