Birding/crow question

Question
QUESTION: Mr Lederer,
A week ago you said the missing feathers on a crow's leg may be due to genetic or developmental problems or damaged follicles. I know you can't say for sure but I'm wondering if any of these things could cause a shorter life span. I don't feel comfortable going to a vet.

ps: If you have any suggestions for "enrichment" (entertainment), they'd be much appreciated. He hasn't been interested in any of the many toys I've purchased for him.

thanks!

ANSWER: I have no idea whether the feather loss would be connected to any other conditions that might lead to a shorter life span. I can't suggest anything for entertainment as I am not an expert in caged birds, nor do I approve of birds being caged, although I do understand that birds that cannot make it in the wild might need to be caged.
I really think a vet is your best bet.

QUESTION: Mr Lederer,
Thank you. I agree that birds should not be caged; it is cruel. I'm writing back to let you know that this bird is free, roaming about the house wherever he likes, 95% of the time. Caged only when there is no adult in the house so he doesn't injure himself.

Answer
Here's my opinion. When a bird is kept in captivity, for whatever reason, he/she is kept out of the gene pool. He/she is as good as dead because he/she cannot reproduce. I would rather allow a partially injured bird loose into the wild to fend for itself because it has at least a minimal chance of reproducing. In other words, let nature take its course. Sounds cruel but that's the way of nature every day.

Birding

Roger Lederer