Birding/injured Dove

I found a dove in my driveway this morning and it had it's head upside down. But it was still alive. I picked it up and it woke up. It had a red swollen eye and when it tried to drink water, blood drips out of his mouth into the water.Now, it's sorta in a sleeping state and Its's just flapping it's wings, as well as having his head hanging limply on his body upside down. How can I help it?

Sounds like the bird ran into a window. Sounds serious. I suggest you call either your local wildlife rehab center or wildlife official or veterinarian. One of them should be able to help. There's nothing you can personally do without professional help. Thanks for your concern.

Roger Lederer

Any and all about WILD birds - the science of ornithology. Information about birdwatching, ecology, conservation, migration, behavior, banding, rehabilitation, feeding, songs, binoculars, identification, and careers in ornithology. No questions about pet or caged birds, please.

Have a PhD and over forty years as a professional ornithologist - research, teaching, author, speaker, webmaster of . Have written thirty scientific papers, three bird field guides, a textbook in ecology four other bird books, the latest being "Beaks, Bones, and Bird Songs". Have traveled to 100 countries watching birds and have spoken to hundreds of groups about birds.

PhD in Zoology/Ornithology; Emeritus Professor of Biological Sciences; former Dean of the College of Natural Sciences at California State University, Chico