Birding/Do you know anything about crow behavior?

7:30 am cst, my bedroom window to the west is open and all of a sudden I hear a huge uproar of crows. For at least 10 minutes, they caw, caw, caw, caw. Then about 7:40 it goes completely silent.

7:45am, one.. two.. four.. eight.. SEVENTEEN crows go flying past my window to the west!

Any idea what they are doing?

I love crows but I don't know much about them.

This is the time of year when birds migrate and they often gather in big groups before or just as migration starts. It's safer in groups so lots of birds spend the weather together. So this is just their gathering before migration. I lived in Oklahoma for a year and remember flocks of hundreds of thousands during the winter.

Roger Lederer

Any and all about WILD birds - the science of ornithology. Information about birdwatching, ecology, conservation, migration, behavior, banding, rehabilitation, feeding, songs, binoculars, identification, and careers in ornithology. No questions about pet or caged birds, please.

Have a PhD and over forty years as a professional ornithologist - research, teaching, author, speaker, webmaster of . Have written thirty scientific papers, three bird field guides, a textbook in ecology four other bird books, the latest being "Beaks, Bones, and Bird Songs". Have traveled to 100 countries watching birds and have spoken to hundreds of groups about birds.

PhD in Zoology/Ornithology; Emeritus Professor of Biological Sciences; former Dean of the College of Natural Sciences at California State University, Chico