Birding/Do you know anything about crow behavior?

Question
7:30 am cst, my bedroom window to the west is open and all of a sudden I hear a huge uproar of crows. For at least 10 minutes, they caw, caw, caw, caw. Then about 7:40 it goes completely silent.

7:45am, one.. two.. four.. eight.. SEVENTEEN crows go flying past my window to the west!

Any idea what they are doing?

I love crows but I don't know much about them.

Answer
This is the time of year when birds migrate and they often gather in big groups before or just as migration starts. It's safer in groups so lots of birds spend the weather together. So this is just their gathering before migration. I lived in Oklahoma for a year and remember flocks of hundreds of thousands during the winter.

Birding

Roger Lederer