Birds--General/White faced cockatiel injury

cockatiel injury
cockatiel injury  
My 8 year old cockatiel was flying around the house today, she flew into the office and hit her head on some object. Most of her head feathers has been pulled out from her hitting it. The skin underneath looks to be red and bloody.

I presume you are asking me what should be done? It could be minor with just skin and blood vessel damage. If she is not bleeding anymore and shows no signs of illness such as disorientation or loss of appetite, or bleeding from the nose, she will be fine. If she does show any other symptoms, then she could have a skull or brain injury in which case it would be appropriate to see a vet. Good luck.

Roger Lederer

Any and all questions about WILD birds - not caged, domestic or poultry. Can answer questions about identification, taxonomy, behavior, courtship, plumage, flight, or anything else. Wild birds only, please.

Taught ornithology (the study of birds) at the university level for 30 years. Have written five books on birds, published 30 scientific articles, write a blog on birds, have the website, lectured to hundreds of groups on birds,and have traveled to 90 countries studying birds.

A variety of ornithological and conservation organizations.

Real Simple Magazine, Enterprise-Record, and several ornithological and ecological journals.

PhD in Zoology with emphasis in ornithology.

Professional Achievement Award, Jack Rawlins Chair of Environmental Literach.