Birds--General/Baby Mourning Dove

concerned wrote at 2014-09-18 11:53:16
I too have a baby dove. I found it in the yard about a week ago after a storm.  There are cats around so I brought him in. This bird is fully feathered.  He's doing well on the baby bird feed. I'm  no expert, but I think your problem might be that you need to feed the dove more often.  I had to be away from mine for over three hrs. one evening and by the time I was able to feed him he was so weak and shaky that I almost didn't get him going again. The weather is right so I now take him with me when I'm going to be gone long periods. Good luck!

Roger Lederer

Any and all questions about WILD birds - not caged, domestic or poultry. Can answer questions about identification, taxonomy, behavior, courtship, plumage, flight, or anything else. Wild birds only, please.

Taught ornithology (the study of birds) at the university level for 30 years. Have written five books on birds, published 30 scientific articles, write a blog on birds, have the website, lectured to hundreds of groups on birds,and have traveled to 90 countries studying birds.

A variety of ornithological and conservation organizations.

Real Simple Magazine, Enterprise-Record, and several ornithological and ecological journals.

PhD in Zoology with emphasis in ornithology.

Professional Achievement Award, Jack Rawlins Chair of Environmental Literach.