Birds--General/cockatiel sexing

QUESTION: I am in a real dilema here..I have a grey cockatiel that I thought was a female by the cheek patch..The cheek patch is very dull like a female however it sings and whistles like a male..There are no bars on the wings..Are there male cockatiels with dull cheek patches ???

ANSWER: Hi Valerie. Rather than trying to explain everything here as there are different color cocktiels, please go to for a good explanation of how to sex your bird. And unless it is 6-8 months old, sexing techniques are not reliable.

QUESTION: I wasnt able to open that site..My bird in over a year old..And I am a breeder..I thought the dull cheek patches on a grey cockatiel indicated a female..however it sings and whistles ..I checked the wings and no bars..was just wondering if a male grey cockatiel can have dull cheek patches like a female ??

Here's another site to try :
If you can't get this site , then try a different browser. The reason I send you to sites rather than trying to answer your question here is that these sites have helpful photos. Good luck

Roger Lederer

Any and all questions about WILD birds - not caged, domestic or poultry. Can answer questions about identification, taxonomy, behavior, courtship, plumage, flight, or anything else. Wild birds only, please.

Taught ornithology (the study of birds) at the university level for 30 years. Have written five books on birds, published 30 scientific articles, write a blog on birds, have the website, lectured to hundreds of groups on birds,and have traveled to 90 countries studying birds.

A variety of ornithological and conservation organizations.

Real Simple Magazine, Enterprise-Record, and several ornithological and ecological journals.

PhD in Zoology with emphasis in ornithology.

Professional Achievement Award, Jack Rawlins Chair of Environmental Literach.