Birds--General/parakeets

Question
Hi there, I have recently bought 2 parakeets from some one, they are about 2years old and this morning
I found an egg in the cage. Do you think they're is a chance it could be fertile and will she have any more.the thing is she is not sitting on them instead the male parakeet is and as also become very viscous when any on be goes near the cage is this normal? Also is they're anything else I should do to help keep the cage warm or feed her, finally how long does it take for the egg to hatch or to know if it is fertile? Sorry there is so many questions I'm just really confused. Think you very much for you help, look forward to hearing from you.

Answer
I'll try to answer your questions, but not knowing the exact situation, I can't tell you exactly what is happening. First, the egg could be fertile, but if they are not sitting on it (incubation), the egg will not hatch. I can't know if the female will lay any more eggs. It is normal for the male to be aggressive (btw, it's vicious, not viscous) when eggs are laid. If the egg is fertile and if the parents incubate it, the eggs would hatch in 2-3 weeks.
You should do some research and read about these birds so yo know how to take care of them and what to do when they try to nest, so go to http://www.parakeetcare.org/ and read on. There are other places on the web for parakeet info but I suggest you get the book Parakeets for Dummies. (Not that you are a dummy, of course, it's just a good book.) Good luck

Birds--General

Roger Lederer