Birds--General/Possibly sick parakeet

I have 2 parakeets, a male and a female.  Since yesterday am seeing the female fluffing her feathers.  She is still moving and eating normally. She looks a little bigger.  Not sure if she is sick or pregnant.  Do I need to take her to the doctor?  I am really worried about her.

Birds do not get any bigger when they have young as they really don't get pregnant. If she produces an egg, it comes out in 24 hours. She only looks bigger because she's fluffed up. If she is fluffed up, she is apparently losing body heat which means she is either cold or has a fever. If she's not in a draft or a cold part of the house then she might have a fever. You can take her to the vet or wait a day or two to see if she gets better or worse. Hopefully better.

Roger Lederer

Any and all questions about WILD birds - not caged, domestic or poultry. Can answer questions about identification, taxonomy, behavior, courtship, plumage, flight, or anything else. Wild birds only, please.

Taught ornithology (the study of birds) at the university level for 30 years. Have written five books on birds, published 30 scientific articles, write a blog on birds, have the website, lectured to hundreds of groups on birds,and have traveled to 90 countries studying birds.

A variety of ornithological and conservation organizations.

Real Simple Magazine, Enterprise-Record, and several ornithological and ecological journals.

PhD in Zoology with emphasis in ornithology.

Professional Achievement Award, Jack Rawlins Chair of Environmental Literach.