Birds--General/to find out about bird prosthesis

a pair of wild pigeons live on my terrace... the female laid a pair of eggs in a wooden box that dad had trashed.i noticed that it had not built any nest ... but the eggs hatched ... now one little kiddo is all fine but the other one seems to have spradled legs i feel sorry for that sweet heart... last night i noticed that his digits have turned black.... how do i help that little kid... what do i do? no avian vets in the place i live in...pls help

Typically the reason for the splayed legs is a lack of vitamin D. Once the legs develop like that, there's no curing it. The digits turning black probably means necrosis - the death of tissue. The bird has little to no chance of making it, unfortunately. Yes, sad, but nothing you can do. I'm not sure a vet could help either. So sorry.

Roger Lederer

Any and all questions about WILD birds - not caged, domestic or poultry. Can answer questions about identification, taxonomy, behavior, courtship, plumage, flight, or anything else. Wild birds only, please.

Taught ornithology (the study of birds) at the university level for 30 years. Have written five books on birds, published 30 scientific articles, write a blog on birds, have the website, lectured to hundreds of groups on birds,and have traveled to 90 countries studying birds.

A variety of ornithological and conservation organizations.

Real Simple Magazine, Enterprise-Record, and several ornithological and ecological journals.

PhD in Zoology with emphasis in ornithology.

Professional Achievement Award, Jack Rawlins Chair of Environmental Literach.