Birds--General/Baby Dove Care

Baby Bird 1
Baby Bird 1  

Baby Bird 2
Baby Bird 2  
Hello, today (July 3rd, 2013) I found a baby dove in our backyard. At first I thought it was dead, but on closer inspection, it was still alive. My mother and I put it in a cat carrier with a make-shift nest. It is currently showing no signs of sickness or weakness, possibly just inability to walk/fly correctly.
It still looks pretty young, its head looks like it is beginning to sprout feathers, as well as the body too. It looks like a few weeks old?
Anyway, I looked up what should this little bird be fed for the time being, and someone said a mixture of bread and milk. I've been trying to feed it for the past few minutes, but it will not allow me to do so. I have tried to feed it with a baggie with a hole in one of the corners, but it will not eat.. I've tried to open its mouth but it continues to reject the food mixture.

I can provide pictures if you would like to determine its age and health

thank you,

Best thing to do is contact your local wildlife rehab center or wildlife official for help. Meanwhile you can go to for links to advice on caring for baby birds. Actually, the worst thing you can do is feed it milk and bread. Bread has little in the way of nutrients and forcing liquid down it's throat is likely to suffocate it. Parent doves feed their young "pigeon milk" a substance that they create in their own crop and regurgitate to the young. Sometimes feed stores have a substitute for that. Meanwhile, go to your local wildlife rehab center for advice but if you can feed the bird, give it mashed hard boiled egg mixed with a little water to make a mash. Good luck and thanks for your concern.

Roger Lederer

Any and all questions about WILD birds - not caged, domestic or poultry. Can answer questions about identification, taxonomy, behavior, courtship, plumage, flight, or anything else. Wild birds only, please.

Taught ornithology (the study of birds) at the university level for 30 years. Have written five books on birds, published 30 scientific articles, write a blog on birds, have the website, lectured to hundreds of groups on birds,and have traveled to 90 countries studying birds.

A variety of ornithological and conservation organizations.

Real Simple Magazine, Enterprise-Record, and several ornithological and ecological journals.

PhD in Zoology with emphasis in ornithology.

Professional Achievement Award, Jack Rawlins Chair of Environmental Literach.