Birds--General/Orphaned bird

Question
Hi, I have recently rescued a young thrush (almost has full plumage but should still be in the nest) from the clutches of one of our cats only to find that one his wing feathers is broken, there is a small wound in the area but very little evidence of any bleeding and any bleeding has long since stopped), I was wondering if there was anything that I should do about the wing, it doesn't seem to trouble him too much but I'm not sure how good at flying he should be at this stage he seems to prefer to hop.
Thanks,
Deahna

Answer
Hi Deahna,

I don't have the original date of your question so I hope I'm not too late.  Since cat's mouths are filled with bacteria, many bite wounds need to be treated with oral antibiotics, or else it can turn into a systemic infection.  If you have a local veterinarian perhaps they can help you with a broad-spectrum antibiotic and calculate a correct dose for a small bird?  The best option is a local wildlife rehabilitation center, if you have one where you are? If it's only a wing FEATHER that's broken, that would not prohibit the bird from flying.  Hopefully there is no break in one of the wing's bones...a broken wing usually droops when the bird is perched in a normal position.  There may be bruising, too, which should eventually heal. While a bird may appear to have all it's plumage, until the wing feathers are entirely grown in (i.e., no sheath, it should be fully feathered all the way up, no blood supply visible in the shaft), it may not fly yet, but sounds like soon. SO if it's still doing OK, you may need to learn it's diet, provide it food and water, and a place to exercise(safe cage?) until it's ready to be released.  I hope this helps and good luck!

Robin  

Birds--General

Robin Keister