Birds--General/Wren houses

Hello: I constructed a wren house from plans I found on the internet,and used the appropriate sized opening (1 1/8").I placed it in a tree in my back yard,but after three years,I haven't attracted any tenets.Can you give me some tips on what I am doing wrong? Thanks

A couple of things to think about. First, only a few wren species (House, Winter, Sedge, and Marsh) nest in Manitoba and then only in the southern part. The Marsh and Sedge Wrens prefer marshy areas and they and the  Winter Wrens build domed nests. So it is likely that the only wren you might attract is the House Wren. If you are in the northern part, there are no wrens there, except for maybe an occasional straggler. Second, since southern Manitoba is in the northern edge of wrens' range, there is probably only a small population relative to other areas. And the House Wren's range barely gets into Manitoba. Have you seen many wrens around?

Second, putting up a wren house is no guarantee wrens will use it. It may be a perfect house but if the habitat isn't correct they won't use it. Besides a place to nest, they need places to hide, to feed, find cover from storms, etc. And they can be disturbed by traffic, cats, dogs, or other disturbances.

So you are not doing anything wrong, but the circumstances might not be right.

Roger Lederer

Any and all questions about WILD birds - not caged, domestic or poultry. Can answer questions about identification, taxonomy, behavior, courtship, plumage, flight, or anything else. Wild birds only, please.

Taught ornithology (the study of birds) at the university level for 30 years. Have written five books on birds, published 30 scientific articles, write a blog on birds, have the website, lectured to hundreds of groups on birds,and have traveled to 90 countries studying birds.

A variety of ornithological and conservation organizations.

Real Simple Magazine, Enterprise-Record, and several ornithological and ecological journals.

PhD in Zoology with emphasis in ornithology.

Professional Achievement Award, Jack Rawlins Chair of Environmental Literach.