Birds--General/Young Dove

Question
Young Dove
Young Dove  
Good morning Roger!

My dog found a young ring neck dove on the ground that seemed to not be able to move very much.  I picked up the dove and it was cold (night time temperature was 57 degrees) so I brought it into the house and warmed it which improved its energy level.  It appears that it may be within 2 weeks of being able to fly.  Can you give me some advise on what/how to feed it and any other care until it is able to fly?

Thanks!

Answer
It is hard to know from what you told me, but the dove may have been attended to by its parents. Unless a bird is definitely injured or sick, it is best to leave it where it is as the parents are probably nearby. That said, it is VERY DIFFICULT to hand raise a young bird without experience so your best bet is to contact your nearest wildlife rehab center. If you can't do that  you can go to www.ornithology.com/rehab.html for links to raising baby birds. Young doves are fed by their parents "pigeon milk" regurgitated from their crop. I understand that some feed stores carry something that would substitute. Good luck and thanks for your concern.

Birds--General

Roger Lederer