Birds--General/Mutant pin feather?

Question
My friend has a parakeet with what seems to be a mutant pin feather. She tries preening, but the feather remains thick and never really grows out. She took it to a vet, but wasn't given much advice. Is this something you have heard of before, and what advice do you have for her?

Thank you!!!

Answer
My own parrot had the same thing, I believe the feather eventually fell out and grew back in normally.  I would have to defer to whatever little advice the vet gave, but I would advise your friend to just leave it be!  Pulling it is too risky, as you could permanently damage the feather follicle.  

Birds--General

Robin Keister