Birds--General/Mutant pin feather?

My friend has a parakeet with what seems to be a mutant pin feather. She tries preening, but the feather remains thick and never really grows out. She took it to a vet, but wasn't given much advice. Is this something you have heard of before, and what advice do you have for her?

Thank you!!!

My own parrot had the same thing, I believe the feather eventually fell out and grew back in normally.  I would have to defer to whatever little advice the vet gave, but I would advise your friend to just leave it be!  Pulling it is too risky, as you could permanently damage the feather follicle.  

Robin Keister

I can answer questions about bird identification, avian physiology, avian conservation, avian genetics, bird song and music, and injured/ill/orphaned bird rehabilitation. I am not trained as a veterinarian and therefore can NOT answer questions about companion/pet bird injuries or diseases.