Birds--General/seagulls inland

Question
Hi, the question is: Why would seagulls be moving inland within the UK in numbers over the last 10 years? This phenoenmon was almost unheard of prior to that and they are now not uncommon for instance in parts of the Midlands. I realise you are US based and maybe therefore not familiar with this. Many Thanks.

Answer
The information I have seems to point to the declining resources of their usual food supply- fish and other such things. Overfishing, global warming, etc. have reduced the food supply so the birds move inland to take advantage of farms, cities, garbage dumps, and so forth. There is also a decline in the number of birds as well. A recent study indicates a 70% decline in seabirds over the past 60 years!

Birds--General

Roger Lederer