Birds--General/seagulls inland

Hi, the question is: Why would seagulls be moving inland within the UK in numbers over the last 10 years? This phenoenmon was almost unheard of prior to that and they are now not uncommon for instance in parts of the Midlands. I realise you are US based and maybe therefore not familiar with this. Many Thanks.

The information I have seems to point to the declining resources of their usual food supply- fish and other such things. Overfishing, global warming, etc. have reduced the food supply so the birds move inland to take advantage of farms, cities, garbage dumps, and so forth. There is also a decline in the number of birds as well. A recent study indicates a 70% decline in seabirds over the past 60 years!

Roger Lederer

Any and all questions about WILD birds - not caged, domestic or poultry. Can answer questions about identification, taxonomy, behavior, courtship, plumage, flight, or anything else. Wild birds only, please.

Taught ornithology (the study of birds) at the university level for 30 years. Have written five books on birds, published 30 scientific articles, write a blog on birds, have the website, lectured to hundreds of groups on birds,and have traveled to 90 countries studying birds.

A variety of ornithological and conservation organizations.

Real Simple Magazine, Enterprise-Record, and several ornithological and ecological journals.

PhD in Zoology with emphasis in ornithology.

Professional Achievement Award, Jack Rawlins Chair of Environmental Literach.