we raise pigeons here and other birds and i was wondering what is the best method to prevent algae from growing in their water drinkers. thank you

Algae need light to grow so one method is to paint the water drinkers black or shade them to minimize sunlight reaching them. You can add anti-algae chemicals but I don't recommend that. You can also use an ultraviolet light to kill the algae but I would think that would be impractical. So my first suggestion would be to sterilized the water drinkers in a chlorine bleach bath, rinse them thoroughly and leave them in the sun for 24 hours to dry out. Then cover them or paint them black. You'll still get algae but a lot less than you probably are now.

Roger Lederer

Any and all questions about WILD birds - not caged, domestic or poultry. Can answer questions about identification, taxonomy, behavior, courtship, plumage, flight, or anything else. Wild birds only, please.

Taught ornithology (the study of birds) at the university level for 30 years. Have written five books on birds, published 30 scientific articles, write a blog on birds, have the website, lectured to hundreds of groups on birds,and have traveled to 90 countries studying birds.

A variety of ornithological and conservation organizations.

Real Simple Magazine, Enterprise-Record, and several ornithological and ecological journals.

PhD in Zoology with emphasis in ornithology.

Professional Achievement Award, Jack Rawlins Chair of Environmental Literach.