Birds--General/Baby birds

Baby bird
Baby bird  
QUESTION: This morning I found a baby bird on the side walk, it does not have any wings at all. It's eyes are not open yet and it doesn't move much. I don't know what kind of bird it is but I found a Aqua colored egg next to it. But I don't know what to do with it or how to keep it warm or how to feed it. I already put it in a shoe box with some grass like nesting materials from out side.  I think it is very early for it to be out of that shell, I think it fell out of the nest.

If you could help me out it would be greatly appreciated!!

ANSWER: A bird this young is extremely difficult to raise.  Someone will need to identify the species to form the proper diet, then it needs to be fed almost hourly from sunrise to sunset, needs to be kept very warm, should be raised with birds of it's own species, etc. It's important that you find the nearest wildlife rehabilitation organization and if you don't have one close by, try a veterinarian who specializes in birds?  If you let me know where you live, maybe I can find a place for you to take it?  In the meantime, a shoebox is great, but for nesting material, try a soft piece of blanket covered with a paper towel or tissue, and if you have access to a heating pad, turn it on LOW and put the box half off/half on the heating pad. If not, put the box in a warm room. (An aqua colored egg could be an American Robin)

QUESTION: I live in Lancaster ohio

I couldn't find any wildlife centers/avian vets right close to you, and I don't know if you're able to transport to a center, BUT by calling one of these centers on the above list, you might get the name(s) of a rehabber nearby who can take the bird for you.  I hope it's still doing OK!  Good luck.  

Robin Keister

I can answer questions about bird identification, avian physiology, avian conservation, avian genetics, bird song and music, and injured/ill/orphaned bird rehabilitation. I am not trained as a veterinarian and therefore can NOT answer questions about companion/pet bird injuries or diseases.