Birds--General/Hummingbird I.D.

Question
I read that the only hummingbird I should be seeing where I live, in Columbia County, NY, would be a Ruby-Throated.  The male should be green with a ruby throat and the female the same only without the ruby throat.  The only one (or ones) I see at my feeder seem to be brown with a lighter brown belly and very tiny.    Could they be a different type?  They don't appear green at all.

Thank you for your time.

Answer
You are correct in saying that the only hummingbird you would see is the Ruby-throated. What you are seeing are young, immature birds that haven't developed their adult plumage. They are the same size as the adults but look smaller because they are so dull-colored.

Birds--General

Roger Lederer