Birth Control/Mirena IUD unexplained pain

Devon Henderson wrote at 2009-04-16 04:29:49
Hi, I also have ovarian cysts. It seems since I have had Mirena my cysts have become more frequent and I am wondering if it has any side effects I was not told about or no one was aware of, I was researching and found this article. I am aware of all of the symptoms of ovarian cysts and have had far worse pain than now but not as often.  I have many questions as to the safety of my IUD. Devon

Nicole wrote at 2009-04-23 15:46:51
if you watch the commercials or read the info on Mirena it can cause ovarian cysts in 12% of woman. Not a huge number but it is possible.

Britainy1017 wrote at 2009-05-20 08:14:45
I have had my mirena in since August, 2008, and I have had extreme pain for my past 3 menstrual cycles. The pain was incapacitating and I ended up going to the hospital. At first the doctor accused me of having an STD and having PID, and then the OBGYN came in and after an ultrasound, said it was an ovarian cyst (I had sharp pain on the lower left of my abdomen and my uterus and cervix areas were very tender and painful). He said if I continued feeling pain or getting cysts that I would need the IUD removed. He said that with the pill, it controls the ovaries, but with Mirena it just pumps out the progesterone and the ovaries go crazy. Ovarian cysts can be quite serious and leave you infertile. They can also hemorrhage, as mine did. When I got the ultrasound it was because I went to the emergency room because I could not stand up... but I believe it was covered by insurance. You might want to check on that. Any way around it, if you are experiencing abdominal pain or ovarian cysts, you should get your mirena removed immediately.

aking wrote at 2009-06-05 12:09:25
Mirena does cause cysts.  12 out of 100 women will develop a cyst on their ovary.  This is listed on the Mirena website.

An ultrasound will let you and the doctor know whether or not you have a cyst on your ovary.

Also, my friend had a cyst removed, but not all of it was removed on accident, and she developed cancer.  You should speak with your doctor about all of this.

mathprof wrote at 2009-07-31 03:16:44
I had a mirena IUD put in about a year ago.  I had pain during menstruation shortly after that, but just figured that it was the IUD possibly.  Well, a year later I go back for a yearly exam and find out that I have a cyst.  I went in for an ultrasound and turns out I have multiple cysts on both ovaries.  You DEFINITELY need to go get an ultrasound and find out what is going on.  If you do have cysts, unfortunately it's probably time to get the IUD taken out.  

And, by the way, I think 12% of women with Mirena getting ovarian cysts is a REALLY BIG number.  This isn't some small amount.  If I would have read that more closely, with my family history of cysts, I would have made a different decision for sure.  I guess it really pays to read all the warnings more carefully instead of just trusting your doctor to tell you all the details.  Sucks to find this out the hard way.

rae wrote at 2009-10-29 03:09:55
Actually the mirena can assist in cyst formation unlike other bc mirena doesn't prevent cyst formation the only way to stop it is to remove the mirena.

Ruthie wrote at 2009-11-12 20:47:53
I found on mirenas website where it says it can cause ovarian cyst.

Cyst on the ovary. These cysts may develop as long Mirena is in place. They are generally harmless and usually disappear in a month or two. However, cysts can cause pain and may sometimes require surgery.  

http://www.mirena-us.com/mirena_right/safety_with_mirena.jsp

I have had two cyst in Feb this year they went away on there own then last month I had one rupture and then yesterday I found out I have another one thats golfball size on my left ovary. Now I am having more pain and I think it might rupture like the one before I sure hope not. But I had the mirena placed Feb 2008.  

renee wrote at 2010-01-06 15:23:13
I also have an IUD for about 18 months and now I have a right-sided cyst that started out as painful sex it is the size of a baseball, I never had any gyn problems until I got my IUD, I get the results of my test soon. Get medical attention asap, because the cyst was found on a MRI from a car accident not from what I had been telling the docter or my annuals.

Samantha wrote at 2010-08-28 15:00:03
According to Mirena's website, women do tend to have a higher incidence of ovarian cysts while on Mirena.

Amy wrote at 2010-11-09 05:17:37
When I had my Mirena IUD the Dr. did tell me that it can cause ovarian cysts but they should resolve themselves.

Kel wrote at 2011-03-11 03:51:26
Just so you know IUD does cause Cyst. I just went to the hospital a week ago, I have one and it was caused from the Mirena.  

Alicia wrote at 2011-07-19 01:40:49
Not true. Read the material that Mirena provides. Mirena does cause Ovarian Cysts. I never had a problem with Ovarian Cysts until I had my Mirena placed. This is actually very common.  

Justtryingtobehelpful wrote at 2012-03-10 23:56:33
I have the Mirena in and one of the first things they warn you about is that IT DOES cause ovarian cysts in which case you have to have it removed.I know a few people who had this problem but as soon as it was out all went back to normal. If you don't more will just keep growing. Don't worry though because the removal can be done at a regular doctors office. The doctor just reaches up and pulls it out. That is the cheapest safest alternative to getting an ultrasound to know for sure if it is a cyst.  Although if your like me and the Mirena is literal your only alternative to Birth control then an ultrasound maybe ideal.  

Shannon wrote at 2012-04-18 23:38:00
I am 25, and have had my IUD for three years. I have recently found out I have a cyst on my left ovary. April 2012 so add me to your list ladies... and this hurts.

rachel wrote at 2012-05-03 12:32:35
actually it could very well be the mirena I am experiencing the same thing and more with the mirena i had it taken it out immediately.  Every woman is different and things can affect each individual differently thing, if you think you are having adverse side effects to your birth control get it checked out.  Its usually the right thing to listen to your body you know it better then any one else!!!

Ilona wrote at 2012-07-28 07:42:37
Hi. I have Mirena sins November 2011,and I don't have periods anymore. I am just 36. Week ago I went to the hospital with sharp pain on my low right side. They found one cyst. After that I went to doctors office for ultra sound and they found two more cyst on my right ovary. But I did not have any problems before IUD. So ,girls be very careful. Next Monday I go to remove Mirena.

Pink lady wrote at 2012-08-06 01:54:37
Hi. I had the mirena fitted the beginning of May 2012. Then on June 4th 2012 went to hospital with right abdo pain, presuming it was appendicitis. So on 9th June 2012 (my 21st b'day) I went down to theatre to have my appendix removed, but while they was in there they found 1 tennis ball size cyst on my right ovary. Have never experienced pain like it before, until I had the IUD fitted. Now 2 months later I'm experiencing the same pain but on my left side now. So I tried to book an appointment to get it taken out, but my doctors are refusing to take it out before a years time as they put it 'it would be a waste of their money'.

Pink lady wrote at 2012-08-06 01:54:45

Dawn69 wrote at 2012-08-16 20:13:49
I had Mirena put in in February.  In May I had excruciating Pain and ended up in the ER. They found 2 simple cysts in my right ovary.  Last week I went in for a follow up ultra-sound and I have a complex Cyst in my right ovary.  Has this happened to anyone else?  Any advice would be helpful

alyquiche wrote at 2012-09-07 19:13:46
I also got an IUD Mirena the beginning of 2012 after an ectopic pregnancy. I had trouble bleeding all year at least 20 days at a time. When i decided to have the Mirena removed after 9 months I hemorraged for weeks longer. When they did the ultrasound they found a large ovarian cyst. I am suppose to go back in 2 months and if it hasn't shrunk it will have to be surgically removed. Horrible. I wish I had researched the product better rather then just going on what my dr and a couple friends said. :(

Custer wrote at 2012-09-16 18:48:22
If your doctor won't remove it go to another provider. Certified nurse midwives offer control too. Nobody should be forced to use birth control that isn't working for them just to "save money."  

DogHairDontCare wrote at 2012-09-17 16:55:08
I had Mirena put in in March of 2012... now, September 2012 I went to the ER with horrible pain in my right lower abdomen. They did an ultrasound and a cat scan to make sure it wasnt appendicitis. Turns out it was a Ovarian Cyst and it was pushing on my bladder. It was the worst pain. no one should have to go through this. I was told it happens to everyone and it's normal and they people just DEAL with it?! I went into planned parenthood to talk to my regular doctor there and she told me that MIRENA DOESNT cause cysts. I said to her "how come it lists it as a side effect then?" and she got confused and didn't know what I was talking about. she said she never heard of mirena causing cysts and that it wasn't a side effect. I could not believe this. I didn't end up getting Mirena removed because of what she told me. she said everyone gets cysts and they just come and go. I made an appointment for Wednesday and I am getting mirena removed for sure. This is ridiculous and no one should have to go through this. I've never had a ovarian cyst before, it doesnt run in my family. this should not be happening.

bebe wrote at 2012-09-18 15:36:29
I had mirena inserted 4 months ago and today after the routine check up, my doctor diagnosed ovarian cyst on the right ovary. she told me I need laparoscopy to remove it.  well, after coming back home and reading your posts, what I'm going to do is to remove mirena tomorrow by GP.I never have had any gyno problem. 'm sure it is mirena causing all this.

PRS wrote at 2012-12-12 04:34:31
After the extremely painful insertion procedure, I had the Mirena placed a month ago. I immediately felt dizzy, and in so much pain that continued for at least a few hours. Since then, I've been spotting, cramping, mood swings, breast tenderness, and back pain.

I went in for my post-insertion check up, and with an ultra sound, my gyno discovered I have a cyst on my right ovary that's 2 centimeters long. She said the cyst would most likely subside, but if it didn't, I would need surgery. She recommended for me to come in to check on it in a few months.

She was adamant I leave the IUD in after going through so much pain having it inserted, and said if I felt a sudden pain on my right side, I would need to contact her ASAP. But after reading this message board, I'm realizing this problem could lead to much worse problems (God forbid it ruptures).

Guess I should have listened to my body when it was rejecting the insertion making the nearly impossible. Now, I'm trying to get scheduled in this week before she goes on vacation. Thank you all for sharing your experiences to help others -- such as myself -- in this similar situation.

gwennie wrote at 2012-12-26 17:12:29
I have now had my Mirena for about 3 months (give or take a few days). I originally had problems with non stop bleeding which has finally worked itself out. But since that time I have had multiple cysts rupture. I keep asking my Dr (who is a specialist for gyno issues) and althougth the literature says it can cause cysts he says no. I believe this is the cause. I had half of one of my ovaries removed to get the part that was making the cyst and haven't had any problems with that side until the Mirena. I have to say besides the cysts I am happy with it. Since having it inserted my endometriosis pain is so much better (I have severe endo). So I am not in constant (and yes literally constant) pain but now I am dealing with this cysts and the rupture and I'm so afraid that I will hemorrhage internally again (scariest thing ever almost died). My only option left is a total hysterectomy so I'm not sure what to do and can't seem to get any answers. But I can say the cysts are not fun and my endo pain meds do nothing to help. The only thing I am being offered is to go to the ER and get a shot of pain meds (well $125/copay for ER) makes this not feasible. Oh and I'm only 30 and have my miracle baby (I have many issues) and don't think I'm ready for a hysto. But aleast I know I am not alone in this. But I also would like to know I am not to the point that I have stopped my monthly cycle all together but I am now in horrible pain (pain med not helping). I really can't tell right now if it's a cyst due to how severe the pain is. Has anyone else experienced this? The pain seems to be across my whole lower abdomen. And if relieved by fetal position but not much else (and unfortunatly for me I'm at work and don't have my heating pad ugh). If anyone has any info please let me know. Thanks ladies

Tammy wrote at 2013-01-04 10:19:52
Well I had the Mirena put in 4 years ago. Never had i have had any problems, But let me tell u something i never had cyst now i have them on my baldder thats right, There is something wrong with thw mirenna and im 55 it was removed in march of 2012 my in sides r all messed up so some one tell me

Daniela wrote at 2013-01-16 13:20:57
Hi ladies. I have my Mirena for 2 years now and for the last couple of months I started having abdo pain at all times. After couple of ultrasounds and Dr appointment, I discover a Left ovarian cyst of 10 x 10 x 6 cm ( yes, that's right). The cyst hold around 250 mls of fluid and its very painful. I am booked for surgery on Mon 21st Jan to remove the cyst and possible the left ovary too. I also asked my Dr if this could be caused by the Mirena but she said NO. Reading all the posts above I have a felling that my suspision is right so I will enquire futher and might have the Mirena removed. Hope my operatinon goes well on monday. I'm 37 years old and have 2 children.  

erica wrote at 2013-03-07 03:09:58
I have been having lots of pain esp during intercourse. I went to the ob and he checked and my iud was in place and everything looked normal. A year later my pain has got worse and I cant even bare to have sex. I went to get my pap today and he checked my iud and its in place still and fine. But i have a huge cyst on my right ovary the size of a tennis ball. The iud is my only hope right now as far as birth control goes. He told me to wait 6 weeks come back to get it checked and if it isnt gone or smaller he will have to remove it with my ovary...im so worried scared and upset. I never knew anything about the iud causing cyst until now. Im so confused on what to do..

Brittany P wrote at 2013-05-17 23:11:30
I went to the ER today because of severe pain on my lower right side and they discover a hemorrhaging cyst. I have never ever had a ovarian cyst before and I am fixing to be 25 yrs old. I have had my mirena for four years now and this happens. I am wondering if this means I will get more of them more frequently now. Something is wrong with merana and it needs to be brought to their attention.

Brittany P wrote at 2013-05-17 23:18:25

I am calling this number after I found out today I have a hemorraging cyst on mmy right ovarie when I have never ever had a cyst before and I am soon to be 25 years old. I only have one child and planned to have more but if it causes any more complications I will not have that oppurtunity. I have had my merana for four years now.Brittany P

You are encouraged to report negative side effects or quality complaints of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit www.fda.gov/medwatch, or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

mlife wrote at 2013-05-19 04:29:58
I had the mirena inserted in 2000. I never had a cyst until then. I had it removed about 3 years later. I also continued to have problems after it was removed.. Not as often but I still had problems. I don't know if it was noted back then or if the warning was on their website but it does cause that problem as well as the chance of not getting pregnant or taking 4 years to do so...  

Julie M wrote at 2013-06-06 18:44:14
Had Mirena inserted in 2008, two  months later, had an ovarian cyst burst, filling my abdomen with blood. Was told this wasn't related to the Mirena, though I'd never had cysts before as far as I knew - most women have small ones routinely, but not ones that burst. Two months after that, I got a huge cyst that caused ovarian torsion - the cyst twisted, restricting blood flow/strangling my ovary. Thank God my ovary survived, and I had the Mirena removed. It took two more months for the cysts to stop forming after it was out.

Just saw my gynecologist today to talk about options for my adenmyosis, and she said the Mirena's a great option to avoid ablation or hysterectomy, and any cysts I had last time were probably coincidental. Hmmmmm, seems unlikely given all these posts.

Jessica wrote at 2013-06-16 16:06:15
I had the Mirena as well. I developed high grade myelodysplastic syndrome lesions in my cervix. I had to undergo surgery to remove the entire lining of my cervix. I have constant abdominal pain, headaches, and short periods that come up to 11 days early at times. I even got pregnant and had a high risk pregnancy.

Sherbere wrote at 2013-10-13 05:13:42
I had the Mirena placed Sept 3 2013.  I went this week on 10/3 for and ultrasound and was told that I have 2 cysts on my right ovary and 4 on my left with one of them being 8cm.  I specifically asked the PA if these could have been caused my the IUD and she said NO.  I believed her because surely 8 cysts couldn't just appear in one Month!  She told me just to watch it and if I experienced any pain to go to the emergency room.  I am to go back in 2 months to recheck.  She told me that my body more than likely would absorb the cysts and if not that they would be surgically removed.  I left there thinking that I have had the cysts all along but after reading I'm almost positive I have not.  I was also asked to stay and have a blood test to rule out ovarian cancer.  I am going to have it removed.  It's not worth my life.

melissa g wrote at 2014-01-15 02:54:41
January 14,2014

I have had the mirena for 18 months..neve4r had an issue..UNTIL  last month I have been getting crampin in  my lower stomach...I went to use restroom and there on the tissue was the mirena.. I spotted for the week until I can get into the obgyn.. the day of my appointment I stopped spotting...spoke with the dr ..he insisted that he put the mirena back in even though I wasn't bleeding..OMG that hurt sooo bad..and the dr didn't give me anything for the pain...he wanted to do ultra sound to make sure it was in there.. than he found a 2cm cyst on  my uterus and to come back 6 weeks (2/3) I called my OBGYN today and insisted I wanted to come in before my appointment to get the mirena out ..the nurse insisted that I didn't get the cyst from the mirena..after 20 minutes with arguing with the lady I have an appointment next Friday ...never ever will I recommend the mirena to anyone

Melissa...Ct

Kayla wrote at 2014-02-10 05:15:28
yes mirena can cause cyst. i had my mirena put in september of 2011 i didnt start having pain til a year and a half later. wel i went to the dr november of 2012 and they did a cat scan and seen that i had several on both my ovarys. the reason i know its from the mirena is bc after i had my daughter they did a ultrasound to make sure everything was ok and didnt see anything. well i went to my dr after i found out i had cyst. tjey gave me a medicine called metfromin and it is desolving my cyst. i just got it taken out this past tuesday and i dont have anymore pain and now i.onky have 1 cyst on my left ovary so if ur hurtin its more tjan likely cyst.

Beth wrote at 2014-10-29 06:44:01
I got the mirena 4 months ago and had pain almost immediately. My internest said cramping was normal and to go back to the gyno if the pain did not improve. Not only did if not improve i now have abdominal pain and constant soreness, terrible low back pain radiating up my back to my neck, acne and now probably a cyst or the possibility that it is embedded in my uterine wall! None of these things were ever mentioned by the gyno as a possibility and I never would have gotten this thing! Now I have to wait a week for my ultrasound appointment knowing this pain will worsen at best. This thing should not be on the market!

Deonna wrote at 2015-01-27 05:41:17
I have had mirena in for 5months IV had severe back pain mood swings hurts during sex hurts when I'm supposed to have my period I went to get an ultrasound and they found cycts after reading everything I've read on this page I'm definitely going to call the Dr tommorow and get this thing taken out immediately! I will b taking the pill from now on I have two baby's 10 months apart back to back in not ready for another one yet but I do want more I think I care enough about my body to make myself remember my pill!

Birth Control

Norman Solberg