Birth Control/Cramping on mirena

Question
Ive been having sharp menstral cramps now my second day of it ive been on mirena since febuary 17 2012 with 2 periods and very little spotting.is this normal?

Answer
Hi There,

It is normal to notice a change in your periods while on Mirena and some women even stop menstruating all together. Anecdotally, many women report some irregular cramping around their periods that eventually resolve. However, one of the documented side effects of Mirena is ovarian cysts. Most ovarian cysts go away on their own, but some don't and can become very uncomfortable.I would give this list from The Mayo Clinic a read and see if it describes any of the pain you're experiencing:

-Pelvic pain a constant or intermittent dull ache that may radiate to your lower back and  thighs
-Pelvic pain shortly before your period begins or just before it ends
-Pelvic pain during intercourse (dyspareunia)
-Pain during bowel movements or pressure on your bowels
-Nausea, vomiting or breast tenderness similar to that experienced during pregnancy
-Fullness or heaviness in your abdomen
-Pressure on your rectum or bladder that causes a need to urinate more frequently or difficulty emptying your bladder completely

Seek immediate medical attention if you have:

-Sudden, severe abdominal or pelvic pain
-Pain accompanied by fever or vomiting

Also, are you checking your threads monthly? Give them a feel and make sure they're where they should be. If you can feel any part of the IUD, go see your gynecologist asap - and be sure to use a backup method of birth control because if your IUD has slipped out of place you are no longer protected against pregnancy.

Hope you feel better soon,

Julia

Birth Control

Julia Fout