Birth Control/Birth Control Questions

Hi there,
I'm a 17 y.o girl who is looking to start using the pill. My boyfriend and I are not sexually active right now, but in the future we will be. I was hoping to find a way to get on the pill and pay for it on my own without the knowledge of my parents.. I don't have a family doctor.. could I go to a walk in clinic? How much will it cost? Can I guarantee my parents will NOT find out? That is very important to me. I would like my privacy.. please help!!

Hi Breanna,

Thank you for your message.

You say you want to start using the pill but don't have a family doctor and are worried about going on the pill and your parents finding out.

First of all, patient confidentiality is extrememly important, and no doctor would ever tell your parents what was discussed between you and them. The only way your parents would find out would be if you told them or if they found your pills. If you do start taking the pill, make sure you think of a way that they could not find them in your room or around the house.  

How much the pill costs will depend on a few things. Often youth clinics (for people under 21 or sometimes under 25) will give the pill for free. If not, then they can range from $10 to $30 per month depending on which pill you get.

You say you live in Alberta, so I would recommend that you phone one of the sexual health clinics there. You didn't say where you live in Alberta, but they will be able to tell you the location of the closest youth clinic and how much it will cost.

There are three different clinics you can phone and all of their details are here:

As well, there are a lot of other methods of birth control besides the pill, and you may want to use one of the other options. Just call one of the clinics on the link above and you can discuss everything with one of their doctors or nurses.

Take care,

Birth Control

Allison Macbeth

I can answer questions about how to choose which method of contraception is right for you, how to deal with mistakes, effectiveness, and emergency contraception. I also have training in HIV, STIs, and sexual health education. I cannot tell you what is the right choice, but I can tell you the pros and cons of each method to help you make an informed decision for your circumstances. If you have had a condom break or had unprotected sex and need emergency contraception please call you local Planned Parenthood or check out

I have been working in the field of sexual health for a decade with specific training in contraception, STIs, HIV, and sexual problems. I have worked in several Planned Parenthood-affiliated charities, telephone helplines, research, education, and currently work for a local health authority evaluating HIV programs in the city.

Macbeth, A., Weerakoon, P., Sitharthan, G. (2009). Australian Parentsí Opinions about School-based Sexual Health Education. Sexual Health. 6, 328-333. I write a weekly advice column for Morning Quickie website which can be found here:

I have a Masters in Applied Science (Sexual Health) where I did research on sex education in schools and at home with parents and young people, as well as many counselling skills courses.

I have worked extensively with young people under 25, people living with or affected by HIV, and parents.