Birth Control/Period

I am on the combined and extended pill so i only get my period every 3 months.  On November 1st i took my pill 3.5 hours late and had unprotected sex on November 11th (he pulled out before he ejaculated).  I started my week off on November 11th also and got spotting on Wednesday and Thursday and i forgot to start a new pack today and got a more normal bleeding.  What does this mean?

Hi Maddison,

Thanks for your message. You say you are on the extended pill and took it 3.5 hours late on November 1st. You had unprotected sex November 11th but without ejaculation. You got spotting Wednesday and Thursday (but no proper period) and when you forgot to start your new pack today you got a more normal bleed.

In terms of protection, taking a pill 3.5 hours late will not affect the pill's ability to protect you from pregnancy. You say you forgot to start your new pack today, but you don't say when you took your first pill.

If you took it as soon as you remembered and it was the same day you were supposed to begin the new pack, then your protection from pregnancy will not be affected.

The reason you got more of a bleed when you took for first pill of the new pack late was because you did not have the level of hormone in your body to stop the period from coming. Chances are this will subside once you are back on the active hormonal pills.

Take care,

Birth Control

Allison Macbeth

I can answer questions about how to choose which method of contraception is right for you, how to deal with mistakes, effectiveness, and emergency contraception. I also have training in HIV, STIs, and sexual health education. I cannot tell you what is the right choice, but I can tell you the pros and cons of each method to help you make an informed decision for your circumstances. If you have had a condom break or had unprotected sex and need emergency contraception please call you local Planned Parenthood or check out

I have been working in the field of sexual health for a decade with specific training in contraception, STIs, HIV, and sexual problems. I have worked in several Planned Parenthood-affiliated charities, telephone helplines, research, education, and currently work for a local health authority evaluating HIV programs in the city.

Macbeth, A., Weerakoon, P., Sitharthan, G. (2009). Australian Parentsí Opinions about School-based Sexual Health Education. Sexual Health. 6, 328-333. I write a weekly advice column for Morning Quickie website which can be found here:

I have a Masters in Applied Science (Sexual Health) where I did research on sex education in schools and at home with parents and young people, as well as many counselling skills courses.

I have worked extensively with young people under 25, people living with or affected by HIV, and parents.