Birth Control/Am I pregnant?

Hello I am 20 years old. I had been taking birth control for 2 and a half years, but decided to stop taking it a few months ago, and just use condoms. I am over 2 weeks late on my period. My boyfriend and I have had sex, but we use condoms every single time, the entire time. We use good brands such as trojan and magnum. My last period was also late, but only a week. I've heard stress can delay it, and I started nursing school this year and it has been very stressful and my sleep habits have been bad. I also heard that stopping birth control can make you irregular for a while. I took a pregnancy test 4 days ago and it came out negative. But I am still going crazy with worry because it is so late. Do you think I could be pregnant or is it just because of the stress and stopping the pills? Thanks.

Most likely you're not pregnant, and it's likely that the stress is making your periods irregular.  After stopping the pill, often the next period will be delayed, but after that, your periods will usually be the way they were before starting the pill.  If you could get enough sleep, regular exercise, and good nutrition, your periods would likely get back to how they were in the past.  Otherwise, you might want to go back on the pill, so you don't have to go crazy with worry.

Birth Control

Norman Solberg

I am an OB-GYN physician. I can answer almost any question related to women's health.

35 years in an active OB-GYN practice.

Fellow, American College of Obstetrics and Gynecology

MD OB-GYN specialist