Birth Control/unprotected sex after getting depo provera

i have been on the shot for 8 years. i stopped taking it for a month and started taking it again just now. my question is do i still have to wait 7 days before the shot takes effect. when i first got on the shot they said it took effect immediately. so if i got the shot wednesday can i have unprotected sex on friday?

Sorry for the delay on your question. I know that you couldn't wait for my answer but had to make your own decision. I would have suggested waiting 7 days but I know it's too late for that answer. Have you had any side effects over the years from that hormonal shot? I usually don't recommend that for women so would like to know your report from being on it for 8 years. Please email me at
Oh, and by the way, even if you are on the shot, you can always get pregnant. There is no method of birth control that is 100% safe.
Diane Cheryl

Birth Control

Diane Cheryl

I can answer questions about the various methods of birth control. I have done much research about side effects and risks of birth control methods. I can answer questions like "What would be the best method of birth control for me?" and "What are the advantages of birth control pills or condoms?" I have almost 25 years of experience volunteering with pregnancy resource centers. Please contact me at if you would like to know more information about your situation or if I am "Maxed OUT".

I have almost 25 years of experience in counseling women about birth control and family planning.

Illinois Valley Community College, Austin Community College, Travel Agent Degree and almost 25 years of counseling experience.
I have worked with Pregnancy Resource Centers for almost 25 years.