Birth Control/Mirena positive side effects?

I have been on the HBC pill for 5 years, I am now 20, have had no children and originally used HBC to regulate my depression and my extremely heavy, painful periods. I used loestrin and microgestin with great results. I am considering the mirena, I do not want to go on an anti-depressant along with mirena (no more pills!) so I am wondering, in my specific case, will it help with my depression?

p.s. Any suggestions of how to make insertion the least painful possible?

Cinna, I cannot recommend mirena because of I have read so many reports of negative side effects. I don't feel that it is healthy for a women's body. Do you need to be on any kind of birth control? I don't mean to intrude but are you sexually active? I am always surprised at how many women are taking or on some kind of birth control but aren't currently sexually active. Please email me at so we can talk further. And no, I don't know any way of making insertion very pain-free.
Diane Cheryl
P.S. I just saw where you said that you use the birth control for painful periods. Please explain this more.

Birth Control

Diane Cheryl

I can answer questions about the various methods of birth control. I have done much research about side effects and risks of birth control methods. I can answer questions like "What would be the best method of birth control for me?" and "What are the advantages of birth control pills or condoms?" I have almost 25 years of experience volunteering with pregnancy resource centers. Please contact me at if you would like to know more information about your situation or if I am "Maxed OUT".

I have almost 25 years of experience in counseling women about birth control and family planning.

Illinois Valley Community College, Austin Community College, Travel Agent Degree and almost 25 years of counseling experience.
I have worked with Pregnancy Resource Centers for almost 25 years.