Birth Control/Pregnancy/Testing

Good Morning!
I realize that you're not located in this specific category but I was hoping you'd be kind enough to help anyway.

I had unprotected sex a few weeks ago. I never thought of it (stupidly, more stupidly that I've gone through medical training and knew the risks). For the past week I have been feeling nauseated with my body aching all over the place, extremely tired and massive headaches. My period is irregular and I usually get them about every 14-20 days.

My last period ended 21st and I had unprotected sex on the 22nd. According to my "period" tracker app. My period usually comes every 3 weeks.I'm not sure when an appropriate time to test for pregnancy would be. I did a test but I think i would be testing about 1-2 weeks early.

I don't have health insurance so I'm trying to rule out possibilities before rushing to the ER!!!

Is it really possible I could be pregnant? And feeling the effects of it a week later? Thanks for any info.

A pregnancy test will usually be positive 2 weeks after conception, and will always be positive 3 weeks after conception.  I suspect that you're not pregnant, and that your symptoms are due to not ovulating, which is suggested by your cycles of 14-20 days (a cycle of less than 21 days usually means no ovulation occurred).  When a woman doesn't ovulate, her ovaries can keep getting stimulated, which can result in high estrogen levels, which can cause all the symptoms of pregnancy.  So if the sex was at least 2 weeks ago, you can probably rely on a pregnancy test (first morning urine) now.  Best wishes.

Birth Control

Norman Solberg

I am an OB-GYN physician. I can answer almost any question related to women's health.

35 years in an active OB-GYN practice.

Fellow, American College of Obstetrics and Gynecology

MD OB-GYN specialist