Birth Control/Will I be protected?

Question
I've been on the birth control patch for the past 3 weeks and then I did not put it on for a week in order to get my period. I put on a new patch today, after a week of having my period, and I was wondering, do I still instantly get protection from pregnancy? I ask this because I first started the patch the first day of my period so that I could receive instant protection, and I want to know if my partner needs to wear a condom now because I did not have the patch on for a week.
Thank you!

Answer
Dear Hazel,

Thank you for your message.

You say you have been on the birth control patch for the last month, with 3 weeks on and 1 week off to get your period. You started a new patch today and want to know if you get instant protection from pregnancy.

The short answer is yes, you are protected from pregnancy now.

When you start the patch for the first time ever , it is only instant if it's started on the first day of your period. However, after that first month, all months following it, and all days following it, you will always be protected, regardless of whether you have your period or not, so long as you use it as instructed .

That means that as long as you always have 3 weeks on and 1 week off (and never more than 7 days without it on) then it will work as prescribed and you will be protected from pregnancy.

Allison

Birth Control

Allison Macbeth