Birth Control/Missed 1 Pill

Question
I currently take Orsythia and I have been taking Orsythia for abour 4 months and I was taking Avian before that for 2 years. I missed a pink (not sugar pill) pill last week and took two the next day. Then I took 4 pink pills the day after that and now I have been on my sugar pills for 3 days. If I were to have sex tonight would there still be a chance that I could become pregnant? It has been 7 days but 2 of the days I was taking the sugar pills.

Answer
Hi M.

Four active pills was way too many pills to take in one day - I'm surprised you didn't become nauseated. You were right to take two pills the next day, but should've continued taking one pill a day, as normally prescribed, until you reached your placebo week.  

Because things got a little screwed up, I would definitely recommend that you use a condom until you start your new pack.

Also, for future reference, here are the official directions for what to do if you miss a dose of Orsythia:

Follow the patient instructions provided with your medicine. Ask your doctor or pharmacist if you do not understand these instructions. Missing a pill increases your risk of becoming pregnant.

If you miss one active pill, take two pills on the day that you remember. Then take one pill per day for the rest of the pack.

If you miss two active pills in a row in Week 1 or 2, take two pills per day for two days in a row. Then take one pill per day for the rest of the pack. Use back-up birth control for at least 7 days following the missed pills.

If you miss two active pills in a row in Week 3, throw out the rest of the pack and start a new pack the same day if you are a Day 1 starter. If you are a Sunday starter, keep taking a pill every day until Sunday. On Sunday, throw out the rest of the pack and start a new pack that day.

If you miss three active pills in a row in Week 1, 2, or 3, throw out the rest of the pack and start a new pack on the same day if you are a Day 1 starter. If you are a Sunday starter, keep taking a pill every day until Sunday. On Sunday, throw out the rest of the pack and start a new pack that day.

If you miss two or more pills, you may not have a period during the month. If you miss a period for two months in a row, call your doctor because you might be pregnant.

If you miss a reminder pill, throw it away and keep taking one reminder pill per day until the pack is empty. You do not need back-up birth control if you miss a reminder pill.
Read more at http://www.drugs.com/mtm/orsythia.html#oQuViK9ZrtbPB4jD.99

Good luck,

Julia

Birth Control

Julia Fout