Birth Control/Missed Periods

Hi Dr, I have PCOS and have been prescribed trinessa birth control for over two years to regulate cycle, and because I'm sexually active. But now I'm beginning to worry because last month and this month no period. I've taken three pregnancy tests and they're all negative. What could be the problem here? Thank you for helping me out and offering your expertise.

Hello Sophia,
Some women on some pills stop having periods.  Most women on the pill get lighter periods, and sometimes they get so light that they don't come at all.  It's nothing to be concerned about.  If you would prefer to have periods, your doctor can usually switch you to a different pill, and you'll get light periods.  However, some women prefer no periods, and it's not harmful in any way.

Birth Control

Norman Solberg

I am an OB-GYN physician. I can answer almost any question related to women's health.

35 years in an active OB-GYN practice.

Fellow, American College of Obstetrics and Gynecology

MD OB-GYN specialist