Birth Control/Can I get the pill without my parents knowing?

Hi ,
Im 14 years old and had sex for the second time . I for sure want to get on birth control and I don't want to take any chances . I know about planned parenthood and was wondering how old do I have to be to go by myself ? And also , if could get birth control for free , without my parents knowing and it being as discreet as possible .
Thanks !

Hi R.

Great question and the answer is - it depends on your state. Sorry, that's not more helpful. In 21 states the Supreme Court has extended privacy rights to allow minors to make decisions about their own contraceptive choices, but others have specific stipulations such as being married (!) or having already had a baby.

Check out this link to see what the laws are regarding minors and contraception for your state:

You're right to think about Planned Parenthood - they're going to be your best resource and they'll be happy to answer any questions you have about access to birth control and, if your state allows it, they'll be able to help you access The Pill for free (if you qualify) or at least, for a discounted price. Give them a call and ask about their policies - they're really nice!

While I definitely encourage you to pursue your options in regards to birth control, keep in mind that at the very least, condoms are cheap and accessible at any drug store.

Good luck and let me know if you have any other questions.

P.s. the link I sent you is a PDF, if for some reason it doesn't work, click on the "Minors' Access to Contraceptive Services" link here:

Birth Control

Julia Fout

I can answer questions pertaining to how to choose and acquire contraception, how to talk to parents, doctors and partners about birth control, emergency contraception, missed periods, breakthrough bleeding,and how to use all methods correctly.

I am working towards my Masters of Public Health with a concentration in Health Behaviors and Health Education. The advice I provide is based on the most recent scholarly research in the areas of health, adolescent development, sex education and the promotion of healthful sexual behaviors. I want to be able to provide teens with relevant, practical, fact-based information so they're well equipped to navigate tough choices and confusing situations.

ECU, the Brody School of Medicine, Department of Public Health

BA in Psychology/minor in Education
MPH Candidate