Birth Control/Re: IUD copper

Hi I am contacting you in regards to the IUD copper, Pargard.

I was on birth control a few years ago and I dreaded its emotional and physical changes to my body. Ever since I have gone on a non-processed diet and feel very healthy. However the all natural option while in a relationship ended up causing me to have a pregnancy and I had to have an abortion 8 weeks in. I did not get the IUD inserted immediately after the procedure because I wanted to do some more research regarding this IUD.

I was wondering how common these complications and side effects are, I have not given birth but definitely do have plans for kids in the future. Im also curious as to the possible dislodging that could occur, how common is that? I am also of Pakistani/Arab decent and was wondering if these side effects are just more prevalent in Caucasians? I also do not like using condoms because they have tended to make me dry. Im debating if maybe I could get it inserted for a few months and see how it goes? How long till it settles down and becomes a part of my system? But due to my current healthy lifestyle I feel mentally I will reject this foreign copper in my body, and start mentally exhibiting copper toxicity complications.

I have also had common yeast infections and had BV during my pregnancy.

Please give me some insight as to how paragard would fit my life. I do not have health insurance so I would be going to Plan Parenthood to get it inserted, and I dont have long term doctor who could give me personal advice.

Thank you!

Hi Anam,

Thank you for your email. You say you are interested in the copper IUD and have some questions.

First of all, if you are planning on getting your health care from Planned Parenthood then they could definitely give you some good information about the IUD and discuss it with you before you put it in.

One thing to keep in mind is that the IUD has a bad reputation based on historical issues, but the technology has changed greatly in recent times and there are far fewer complications than there used to be. The IUD is very common in some parts of the world and is the preferred choice because it is long acting and reversible. As well, doctors used to say that it was not for women who haven't had children before, but they have changed their mind and it is now recommended for any adult women regardless.

It would take a few months for your body to get used to it (just like any other birth control), but because it is removable you could try it out for a while and see how you like it. If you don't you can always take it out.

The chance of perforating the uterus is very small. The IUD would not affect your ability to have children in the future. The most common side effect is heavier periods with more cramps, but it's something you'll just have to wait and see how you feel when you are on it. Less than 1 in 100 women get a pelvic infection from the IUD.

This is a very good website to get more information:

If you are not comfortable on hormones or with the copper then the only other choice would be barrier methods like condoms or diaphragm. These are effective when used correctly and you would have emergency contraception as a back up option if a condom broke.

Please do discuss with your doctor and I'm sure you will make a choice that you are comfortable with. Remember you can always try something and then change your mind later, nothing is permanent other than sterilization surgery so you won't be stuck with it forever.

Good luck

Birth Control

Allison Macbeth

I can answer questions about how to choose which method of contraception is right for you, how to deal with mistakes, effectiveness, and emergency contraception. I also have training in HIV, STIs, and sexual health education. I cannot tell you what is the right choice, but I can tell you the pros and cons of each method to help you make an informed decision for your circumstances. If you have had a condom break or had unprotected sex and need emergency contraception please call you local Planned Parenthood or check out

I have been working in the field of sexual health for a decade with specific training in contraception, STIs, HIV, and sexual problems. I have worked in several Planned Parenthood-affiliated charities, telephone helplines, research, education, and currently work for a local health authority evaluating HIV programs in the city.

Macbeth, A., Weerakoon, P., Sitharthan, G. (2009). Australian Parentsí Opinions about School-based Sexual Health Education. Sexual Health. 6, 328-333. I write a weekly advice column for Morning Quickie website which can be found here:

I have a Masters in Applied Science (Sexual Health) where I did research on sex education in schools and at home with parents and young people, as well as many counselling skills courses.

I have worked extensively with young people under 25, people living with or affected by HIV, and parents.