Birth Control/Sex

I take my birth control everyday like I'm supposed to, I usually get my period the Sunday or Monday after my 3 weeks of pills ends and it's just those sugar ones you take during your period. I know that you don't start taking a new month of pills until the Sunday after your done your period but I usually am done Wednesday or Thursday, am I able to have sex without a condom during the time when I'm not on period anymore but can't start my pills yet ? I'm not sure when I ovulate and I am 19 years old with a boyfriend who does not have any STD's (we've both been checked)  but pregnancy is not on my list of things to do of course, any advice ? Thank you very much for your time.

Hi Sara, First of all, I woul recommend that you don't have sex at this time if you don't want to get pregnant. Some people think I'm old fashioned but I really do feel that waiting until marriage is a very wise decision. Any time you have sex, even if you are taking the pill correctly, you can become pregnant. No birth control method is 100% safe in preventing pregnancy. So I can't recommend that it would be ok to have sex in the time between pills with a condom. There is still a slight chance. Good luck.

Diane Cheryl

Birth Control

Diane Cheryl

I can answer questions about the various methods of birth control. I have done much research about side effects and risks of birth control methods. I can answer questions like "What would be the best method of birth control for me?" and "What are the advantages of birth control pills or condoms?" I have almost 25 years of experience volunteering with pregnancy resource centers. Please contact me at if you would like to know more information about your situation or if I am "Maxed OUT".

I have almost 25 years of experience in counseling women about birth control and family planning.

Illinois Valley Community College, Austin Community College, Travel Agent Degree and almost 25 years of counseling experience.
I have worked with Pregnancy Resource Centers for almost 25 years.