Birth Control/BCP every other day?

I am a 25 year old female and am currently on Lo LoEstrin FE. Obviously, this is a very expensive birth control option, but because of a history of side effects with many other birth controls (including pills, the shot, ring, and mirena), this is the one I've settled on. I am trying to find out if I can safely cut corners.

My husband works away from home for several months at a time - this time he is gone for four months - and I am wondering if I would be able to safely take my pill every other day. I am not sexually active during the months he is away, so it is basically to keep my hormones steady.

What is your opinion? Is this something that I can do without causing issues?

Taking your pill every other day would not protect you very well from pregnancy.

However, you could stop taking the pill during the time your husband is gone, which would save quite a bit on the expense.  You could stop the day he leaves, which would probably bring on a period.  Then start at least 1 week before he returns.  As long as you're back on the pill for 7 days, you're protected.  Ideally you would start the pill during a period.  You'd get less breakthrough bleeding that way.  So assuming that your periods get back to regular during the time your husband is away (the period after stopping the pill will often be delayed a week or two), then you could start back on the pill during the period at least 7 days before he returns.

Birth Control

Norman Solberg

I am an OB-GYN physician. I can answer almost any question related to women's health.

35 years in an active OB-GYN practice.

Fellow, American College of Obstetrics and Gynecology

MD OB-GYN specialist