Birth Control/Birth Control and Cervix Cancer

I am 17 years old and I had my first period when I was 9 and ever since Ive had a very long period lasting 10 days with a heavy flow. I went to a gynecologist and since all my blood and urine exams were normal she sent me cyklokapron to take 3 times a day for as long as my period lasted. I took it but there were no changes. When I asked if I could use hormonal treatment (birth control) she said that giving me birth control before the age of 19 would significantly increase my chances of getting cervix cancer and that I should wait. I don't want to wait 2 years for birth control because 1) my period last so long that I get rashes from pads 2) I want to have safe sex and haven't had sex because I wanted to wait for birth control.
Is all this true? What should I do?

Stephanie, I do agree with your doctor. I have done much research on hormonal birth control and have come to the conclusion that I can't recommend it. I would encourage you to listen and not get on birth control at this time. Also, consider waiting until you are married to have sex and not getting on a hormonal birth control method. Let me know what you think. You can email me at so we can talk more. Hope to hear from you soon.

Diane Cheryl

Birth Control

Diane Cheryl

I can answer questions about the various methods of birth control. I have done much research about side effects and risks of birth control methods. I can answer questions like "What would be the best method of birth control for me?" and "What are the advantages of birth control pills or condoms?" I have almost 25 years of experience volunteering with pregnancy resource centers. Please contact me at if you would like to know more information about your situation or if I am "Maxed OUT".

I have almost 25 years of experience in counseling women about birth control and family planning.

Illinois Valley Community College, Austin Community College, Travel Agent Degree and almost 25 years of counseling experience.
I have worked with Pregnancy Resource Centers for almost 25 years.