Birth Control/first period

Question
I just started taking birth control and started my period before I finished all the "active" pills, I'm not sure how long to take the other "reminder" pills. Usually my period lasts for about 3 days, its already been about 4 but I don't know when to start taking the active pills again.

Answer
In general it's best to keep taking the pill exactly as directed, one pill every day.  When you have bleeding during the active pills, we call it breakthrough bleeding.  It's not unusual to have this the first month or so on the pill.  Usually it takes care of itself with time.  There's a good chance that the bleeding will stop after you start the next pack.  So the bleeding may last longer than your normal periods do, but the pill is still protecting you from pregnancy.  If it seems to be going on for too long (2 weeks?), then call your doctor for advice.

Birth Control

Norman Solberg