Birth Control/Triphasil birth control pill

I will try to keep this short.  I have took Triphasil for years, I am 48 years old.  I stopped the pill October 2nd because my husband had prostate surgery and there is no need in me taking the pill now - I thought.  I quit after taking the 3rd pill out of a new pack, I did have a period 3 days later for a few days.

It is Nov 11th and I have had no period.  What I have had is hot flashes that started about three weeks ago that wake me up at night and do occur in the day sometimes too.  I have decided it is probably best for me to go back on the pill because this was not happening when I was on them.  

Do I have to wait until I have a period or can I start now?  What about the pack that has the first 3 pills missing?  Can I start on day 4 or should I just toss them and start a new pack?  

Thank you for your time!

Dear Sandy, Please consult with your doctor about this. I don't recommend that you stay on the pills just because you're worried about the hot flashes. Perhaps your doctor has a solution for this problem without going on the hormonal pill again. And about where to start in the pack or get a new pack? Consult with your doctor about this as well.

Diane Cheryl

Birth Control

Diane Cheryl

I can answer questions about the various methods of birth control. I have done much research about side effects and risks of birth control methods. I can answer questions like "What would be the best method of birth control for me?" and "What are the advantages of birth control pills or condoms?" I have almost 25 years of experience volunteering with pregnancy resource centers. Please contact me at if you would like to know more information about your situation or if I am "Maxed OUT".

I have almost 25 years of experience in counseling women about birth control and family planning.

Illinois Valley Community College, Austin Community College, Travel Agent Degree and almost 25 years of counseling experience.
I have worked with Pregnancy Resource Centers for almost 25 years.