Birth Control/birth control

i finished my pack 2 weeks ago, and didn't want my period so i started a new pack. I'm going on vacation in 9 days so i was planning on starting a new pack again so i wouldn't get my period. i started spotting today. should i stop taking my pills so i can get my period and start a new pack in 5 days? or should i just keep taking my pills and start a new pack when this one is done? is skipping 2 periods in a row ok?

Dear Yuki,

Thank you for your message.

You certainly can miss 2 periods, there is nothing harmful in that.

One thing to keep in mind about taking continuous pills is that it's hard to predict how your body will react. Depending on which pill you are on it may or may not work to stop your periods entirely. Sometimes breakthrough bleeding or spotting happens which is what you are experiencing.

If you like you can continue the pills and see how your body reacts, which could potenially mean more spotting. Or the other option would be to stop the pills now for 7 days, have a period, then start a new pack. You will just need to decide which options is more agreeable to your situation.

Take care and have a good holiday!

Birth Control

Allison Macbeth

I can answer questions about how to choose which method of contraception is right for you, how to deal with mistakes, effectiveness, and emergency contraception. I also have training in HIV, STIs, and sexual health education. I cannot tell you what is the right choice, but I can tell you the pros and cons of each method to help you make an informed decision for your circumstances. If you have had a condom break or had unprotected sex and need emergency contraception please call you local Planned Parenthood or check out

I have been working in the field of sexual health for a decade with specific training in contraception, STIs, HIV, and sexual problems. I have worked in several Planned Parenthood-affiliated charities, telephone helplines, research, education, and currently work for a local health authority evaluating HIV programs in the city.

Macbeth, A., Weerakoon, P., Sitharthan, G. (2009). Australian Parentsí Opinions about School-based Sexual Health Education. Sexual Health. 6, 328-333. I write a weekly advice column for Morning Quickie website which can be found here:

I have a Masters in Applied Science (Sexual Health) where I did research on sex education in schools and at home with parents and young people, as well as many counselling skills courses.

I have worked extensively with young people under 25, people living with or affected by HIV, and parents.